It has been really long time since the last leather craft tutorial, sorry to keep you guys waiting. Here you are a beginner level DIY canvas bag tutorial, all you needa do is to sew few threads and attached the leather handles, sounds easy huh!? Lets get started!
What you need
Canvas 84(H) x 46.5(W) cm
Leather Strap 43(L) x 2(W) cm each
Rivets 12 sets
The paper pattern of my bag for your reference. There is no significant bag base, but it is actually hidden inside, so the bag is still roomy.
2. Fold the seam allowance and iron it.
4. Face the fabric wrong side to wrong side, with seam allowance (1 cm) folded in, sew along the side. The bottom part consists 8 layers of fabric, it is a bit thick, you may secure it by a thread first.
5. Top stitch the sides.
6. Punch a hole on the corner of the bag, attach rivet by cap rivet setting tool and anvil.
Attach the leather handles
7. Determine the length of the handle and trim the excess.
8. Treat the leather back by CMC.
9. Treat the edge by CMC, when it’s completely dry, coat a thin layer of wax and polish it with cloth (if the edge is not smooth, you have to polish it by sand paper before step 9).
10. Punch 2 holes each side on the handle.
11. Attach rivets by cap rivet setting tool and anvil, pay attention that fabric is relatively weak compare with leather, in order to make the bag more durable, you have to place a leather lining underneath the fabric to protect it, as shown in the second picture.
Do leave me a comment if you have any questions. :)